Online marketing in Kenya
Online marketing in Kenya|Digital marketing agencies in Kenya|Advertising companies in Kenya
Online advertising may be defined as promoting goods, ideas or services to targeted consumers using internet as medium. Internet has inculcated various new and exciting dimensions to advertising providing advertisers with tools to capture attention of target audiences with greater accuracy and efficacy. The most important dimension that internet has added to advertising is that of ‘measurability’. That is, the feedback to any advertising campaign on internet can be measured fairly accurately, rendering it possible for advertisers to ascertain productivity of their investment in the campaign objectively.
Types online advertising
1. Display Ads
The original form of online advertising, these are visual ads that appear on third party websites (usually ones that are related to your content or service in some way).
Display ads have evolved from the basic form of banner ads. Nowadays, display ads come as:
- Static images – these are your basic banner or square ads that appear around the content.
- Text – these are text ads that are created by algorithms to make text ads relevant to the surrounding content.
- Floating banners – these move across the screen or float above the regular website’s content.
- Wallpaper – these appear and change the background of a website, filling the whole page.
- Popup ads – these are new windows that appear in front of the website content; newly opened window displays the full ad so visitors can see.
- Flash – these are moving ads that “flash” different content at the viewer.
- Video – these are small video ads that autoplay or wait for the video to be played by the visitor.
Display ads are usually very affordable. If you contact the third party site directly, their rates will vary from site to site. If you go through a marketing site, they will charge you a base rate.
Some third party sites, like the Google Display Network, allow for demographic, geographic, contextual and/or behavioral targeting – all of which help you target the audience that would be most likely to be interested in your product or service.
2. Social Media Ads
It’s a marketing arena that is not only efficient but effective. Very similar to Display Ads, Social Media ads can be anything from a simple banner or image to an auto-play video.
Social Media advertising is great because you can target your audience perfectly. For example, Facebook’s targeting options include age, region, interests, educational background and more.
Here are two types of Social Media advertisements:
- Organic – creates loyalty and gives you feedback from your target audience; new form of Word-of-Mouth
- Paid – leverage promoted posts and reach specific people
The best platforms to target are:
- LinkedIn for B2B sales
- Facebook for display and top of funnel marketing
- StumbleUpon for amazing, attention-grabbing content
Other platforms to hit up if you have the budget for it:
You can prepare your Social Media campaigns yourself or you can work with a marketing agency to prepare your campaign.
3. Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
The most dependable form of online paid advertising (and also the most common). SEM works based on keywords – you and other businesses like yours bid on keywords through search engines in an effort to get your website up higher on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP).
All SEM ads that appear in Google, Bing and other search engines are text ads. They’re listed at the top or sides of the SERP.
Paid ads can either be Pay Per Click (PPC) or Cost Per Thousand (CPM).
- You bid on keywords and your results appear at the top of the SERP based on bid value.
- This is the best value package because you’re only charged when people click on the ad.
- Also, it’s the easiest to track during the campaign.
- You’re billed a flat rate for 1,000 impressions.
- This makes it easy to apply a budget and you’re guaranteed a number of “shows” on the SERP.
- However, you risk overspending – if no one clicks through you’re paying for wasted results.
- Also, you can’t assess or track the campaign until it’s over.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
You can also use SEM in the unpaid form by optimizing your website for keywords (also known as SEO). Search engines list the unpaid results based on relevance so improving the SEO of your site means you’ll be able to get more hits for free if you improve your site’s SEO.
The best platforms for SEM are Google AdWords, which allow you to create highly targeted campaigns; to make the most of your Google AdWords campaigns. Another platform that’s great for SEM is Bing, which has less competition than AdWords.
4. Native Advertising
Native advertising is those sponsored listings at the end of blog posts, appearing on your Facebook feeds and posted to other Social Media.
These pieces of content are integrated and camouflaged into the platform on which they appear. You can promote and post your Native Advertising through networks like Adblade
There are several forms of Native Advertising:
- Search ads
- Recommendation widgets
- Promoted listings
The best way to market to people who already know about your product and service is to remarket to them. Or retarget. Depends on who you’re talking to.
When people visit your site, you drop a cookie on them so that, as they travel around the web, your ads will appear over and over to remind them about your product or service.
This form of advertising is inexpensive and, if done right, can be more effective than PPC. It increases conversions because it reminds people of you who already know who you are.
You can try to set this up yourself on Facebook Remarketing, Google Remarketing and more. Or, you can use a third-party platform or provider to set up your remarketing campaigns –
6. Video Ads
While YouTube ads are the most popular and well known of video ads, there are actually several different formats, types and content options.
You can go the route of educational/informative. Or maybe you want to post a how-to. Try to pull on the emotional strings of your viewers by creating a visual story. Ideal for branding, especially if you have a product or service that is best demonstrated visually.
Whatever you choose, Video Ads are gaining in popularity because they avoid blatant advertising while also attracting the limited attention span of many YouTubers.
Once you’ve created your video, you can post to:
- Live Rail
7. Email Marketing
Hanging out with Display Ads back near the start of online advertising, Email Marketing is a cheaper, faster and effective form of advertising.
It’s a great way to build customer loyalty and boost sales; when you use an email campaign manager (see the list below) to prepare and send your emails, you can easily track how well they do and monitor your ROI.
Email Campaign Managers:
- Constant Contact
Email Marketing Kenya
In order to succeed at email marketing, you first need to build a list of email addresses. You can do so by using quizzes, or you can put a simple Newsletter sign-up on your site.
Then, you can send email campaigns that focus on promotions, discounts, features or content you’ve posted to your blog. Most emails are short, sweet and to the point. A concise message makes it easy to get your point across and increase conversions
Reasons for the growth of online advertising in Kenya
* Advertisement can reach very large number of potential buyers globally.
* Web superiority over other advertising medium.
* Web page (advertisement) can be updated any time and changes or corrections are painless.
* Online advertisement works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
* In online advertisement specific interest groups or individuals can be targeted.
* Online advertisement can effectively use the convergence of text, audio, graphics, and Animation.
* Online advertisements are cheaper in comparison to traditional advertisement. There is no printing costs, no postage costs etc.
Benefits of Online marketing in Kenya|Digital marketing agencies in Kenya|Advertising companies in Kenya
The Internet has great potential as media carrier compared to traditional media. It offers higher selectivity which is tailored to the user’s profile. The customer can also customize the adverts as he/she is in charge of his own navigation . Through the online advertising the advertiser can get quick, easy and inexpensive feedback in real time, which no other media offers, providing a higher feedback rate. Some other benefits of online advertising are as under:
* Online advertising facilitates the advertiser to reach an absolutely pinpointed and targeted audience.
* “Traditional advertising is usually a one-way mechanism there is no way for customers to act on the information in the advertisements. On the Internet, however, interested customers can click on a banner, learn more, and actually make purchase on the spot,”
* The Internet as a medium knows no demographic boundaries and gives the advertiser a huge audience to tap and build brand image if not sell products.
* Internet’s interactive nature allows for greater flexibility than traditional media in the type of information transmitted and the method of transmission.
* Online advertisement can facilitate purchase decision.
* Enhance customer company relationship.
* Protection of environment.
* Online advertisement expands the company’s market to global market.
* It is easy to create, and place, it saves time, labor and money.
* No loss of quality even after a very long period of time.