How to Apply Visa to Ethiopia
With several ancient ecological sites over 3 million years old, Ethiopia is one of the best places to visit this year. Yet, many travelers usually overlook this hidden gem. It is not surprising that UNESCO recognizes Ethiopia as the country with the most world heritage sites in Africa. What’s more, the country is home to rich cultural diversity and natural beauty that is hard to find anywhere else. Whether you plan to tour the country to experience its sheer beauty or for business, you might need a visa to enter Ethiopia, depending on your nationality. So, read on to discover how to apply visa to Ethiopia.
Do You Need Visa to Visit Ethiopia?
Yes, you have to obtain a valid visa to travel to Ethiopia unless you are a citizen of Kenya and Djibouti. Kenyans can enter Ethiopia without a visa for up to one year. On the other hand, citizens of Djibouti can enter Ethiopia for up to 3 months without a visa.
Ethiopia Visa on Arrival
Citizens from all countries can obtain an Ethiopian visa on arrival after applying for the Ethiopia e-visa. However, you must have a valid passport, email address, and credit or debit card. Moreover, your passport must be valid for at least six months from arrival in Ethiopia. Citizens from the United States, Canada, China, Italy, and Germany are eligible for Ethiopian e-visa. Kenyans traveling to Ethiopia for business or work assignments must get a work permit for more than one year.
Similarly, Kenyans traveling to Ethiopia for an extended stay are eligible for an Ethiopian online visa. The Ethiopian visa on arrival is only offered at the Addis Ababa international airport. Keep in mind that the Ethiopian visa on arrival cannot be used to leave or re-enter the country.
Ethiopia Visa Types
There are two main Ethiopian visa types: Ethiopia tourist visa and Ethiopia business visa. Let’s discuss both options in detail below.
Ethiopia Tourist Visa
If you wish to explore all that Ethiopia offers, you should apply for an Ethiopian tourist visa. Foreign citizens from all countries are eligible for this visa if they have a recent passport photo and a valid passport. Kenyans traveling to Ethiopia for a short stay don’t need a visa to enter the country. In most cases, the processing time for an Ethiopian tourist visa is 72 hours.
So, remember to submit your application early before your scheduled arrival. If you wish to extend your stay before your visa expires, visit the head office of the immigration as soon as possible to avoid legal penalties and fines.
Ethiopia Business Visa
Foreign citizens who wish to travel to Ethiopia for business should obtain an Ethiopian business e-visa before arrival. Ethiopia business visas are categorized into:
- Conference visa-Single entry with up to 30 days validity from the date of arrival in Ethiopia.
- Investment visa -Single entry with up to 30 days of validity from the first arrival date in Ethiopia. Investors can also apply for a multiple entry visa with a maximum duration of three months, six months, or 12 months.
- Foreign business farm employment visa -Single entry with up to 30 days maximum duration.
- Ethiopian government employment visa -Single entry with up to 30 days maximum duration.
- Ethiopian private business farm work visa -Single entry with up to 30 days maximum duration.
- International organization work visa -Single entry with up to 30 days maximum duration.
- Ethiopian government institutions short task visa -Single entry with up to 30 days validity and multiple entry with up to 90 days maximum duration.
Ethiopia Visa Requirements
Before applying for a visa to Ethiopia, you must ensure that you are compliant with all the basic Ethiopia entry requirements. Failure to adhere to these requirements might lead to visa rejection or delay. Make sure you have:
- Recent passport-style color photo
- A copy of your residency card, where applicable
- A printed copy of the biographical page of your passport
- A valid passport with at least 6moths of validity from the date of entry to the country
- Your passport should also have more than two blank pages
- Depending on your nationality and travel history, you might also be required to submit vaccination certificates like a yellow fever certificate.
How Much Will a Visa to Ethiopia Cost?
Visa to Ethiopia prices varies depending on your nationality, age, visa type, and services. For instance, a conference visa to Ethiopia costs approximately $32, while a single-entry tourist visa costs approximately $52. Visit your embassy in person or online to discover the actual cost.
How to Get Visa to Ethiopia?
You can apply visa to Ethiopia online or visit your embassy. Alternatively, let the experienced specialists at Safari Global help you with your visa application to Ethiopia, whether you are in Kenya or abroad.
Planning to Travel to Ethiopia? We Can Help
Whether you want to travel to Ethiopia for business or explore the sheer beauty of this hidden gem, you can let the experienced specialist at Peafowl Tours help you obtain your visa to Ethiopia. You can also count on us to find and book affordable flights to save your money and time. Contact us to learn more.